Summer Stars is the public library national summer reading programme for children that runs from July until the end of August. All children throughout the country are invited to join the adventure and to enjoy the fun and pleasure of reading and writing over the summer. Summer Stars is non-competitive and it’s all completely free!
While our library service is not fully open just yet there are still lots of ways you can take part in Summer Stars at home and online this year. You can borrow a book from our branch libraries currently offering 'browse & borrow' services. You can also download books and audio books from BorrowBox or comics from RbDigital. We're also busy planning lots of online events that you can get involved with including quizzes and competitions, storytimes and author interviews and will continue to update you about them both here on the website and on our Facebook page.
Join us for Summer Stars 2020.
- You can borrow books from branch libraries currently offering 'Browse & Borrow services. Full details of the services and the library opening hours are available here.
- As well as enjoying the all the amazing worlds you visit when reading books, Summer Stars 2020 is celebrating your imagination by running a short story competition on An Unexpected Adventure! Libraries Ireland is calling on all 6-18 year olds to write a story, no more than 500 words, on An Unexpected Adventure. Of course, 6 year olds won’t be competing against teenagers! There are three age categories: age 6-9, age 10-14, age 15-18. There will be 15 finalists in each category and one national winner from each category. Each winner will receive a Tablet and each finalist will receive a €50 voucher. That's a lot of great prizes and a lot of chances to win so let your imagination take you on an unexpected adventure and start writing!
- View book reviews from other children around the country and share your own reviews of the books you read this summer.
- Download fun printable activities and colouring sheets for Summer Stars to complete at home.
- Check our facebook page for weekly quizzes, storytimes, author readings and workshops.